Sunday, September 11, 2011

Never Forget


10 years ago I was a 7th grader growing up in a small, Midwestern town who loved playing volleyball and being with my family. I'm embarrassed to say I had no clue what the World Trade Center was, but at that time in my life, it wasn't really important information to me.

That would all change when I walked in to my science class the morning of 9/11 and heard a kid say a plane had struck one of the towers. I thought it was a joke. Who would run a plane in to a skyscraper? Especially one I had never heard of. When the teachers started becoming visibly concerned and we learned of the second plane, I knew this was not in fact a joke.

Thankfully my life was not really directly impacted by the event, but I do believe each and every American was affected in one way or another that day whether they realize it or not. Even if you don't know someone who was directly affected, almost everyone has heard stories of friends of friends losing loved ones or chilling stories of people who were supposed to be in one of the towers but for some reason were not.

Even though I did not personally lose some one, I have noticed small things I think or do resulting from that day. During the Air & Water Show practice a few weeks ago, I became overwhelming anxious while the planes were flying over Chicago. I forgot the show was that weekend, and I hate to admit that my first thought upon hearing the planes was that we were under attack. I knew it was irrational fear, but for some reason I couldn't help but think one of them was going to hit a building. After going outside to get some fresh air and calling my dad, I calmed down, but it is still strange to think...would I have had these thoughts if it were not for 9/11?

This morning I woke up early and turned on the TV to watch some of the memorial ceremonies. It was so surreal to realize 10 years had already passed and tears somberly flowed from my eyes during the first moment of silence. When they began reading the names of victims, I switched off the TV and decided I wanted to have a great day. One truly worth living. And so I did.

I headed to Little Village to meet Jacqueline for a bilingual church service where we honored the victims of 9/11 but also gave thanks for so many other things. Then we headed to the Mexican Independence Day festival (which was hot but a blast), enjoyed some delicious homemade Mexican dip, chatted about life, and headed to the Craft Fair in Wicker Park. It may not have been anything earth shattering, but I had a great day enjoying the outdoors, the company of a good friend, and truly being thankful to be alive.

Jacqueline & me at the parade
The great mustache van we spotted in Wicker Park

Last but not least, thank you to all our military men and women who serve to keep our country safe, and thank you to State Farm for making this 9/11 tribute ad which brought tears to my eyes while watching the Jets vs Cowboys game.

How did you honor the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment