Friday, May 6, 2011

Climbing the Altgeld Bell Tower

Natalie & I used to joke that a day of traveling abroad wasn't complete unless we had climbed something, and I forgot just how much fun that is until today. My friend from freshman year, Jake, & I have been planning to climb the Bell Tower for a few weeks now, but we kept canceling due to class interfering or bad weather. Today was finally the day, and it was the perfect day to do it! My knee has almost completely recovered from the half last Saturday, and it was an absolutely gorgeous day!

Looking up at the tower from the ground.
I was unaware of the 30 foot ladder we would have to climb to the actual bells until about a week ago, but I knew I wanted to go check it out anyways. I am extremely scared of heights, but I also love a good adrenaline rush, and Jake and I are always good at daring each other in to things. I literally had to jump around and pump myself up to climb the ladder while everyone also about to make the climb laughed at me behind their own nerves.

30 foot ladder!
Half way up, I wanted to turn around so badly but knew I would regret it later, so I just kept going. One rung at a time. I kept telling myself over and over again, "you ran a half marathon, you can do anything," and sooner or later, I made it to the top.


It was really windy at the top!
Even if you're scared of heights, the voyage up to the top of Altgeld's Bell tower is definitely worth the it! The view at the top was beautiful and seeing and hearing the bells up close was really fun. I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with an old friend and the amazing rush of adrenaline I got at the top. And of course for another item crossed off the Bucket List :)

View of the Quad from the top

3 comments:

  1. The mentioning of my name in your posts makes me feel good (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get the chance to go up there? Is there a place to sign up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have free tours every day school is in session 12:30 - 1pm, so I just showed up & went on the tour. Here is a link to more info: http://cuwiki.net/Altgeld_Bell_Tower

      Delete