Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Graduating College

It's hard to believe my four years of college are over. There were times when it seemed all the work and stress would never end, yet now that it's over, it's hard to believe the four years went so quickly.

High School graduation. Michael looks so different!

Each year was different experience, and I am grateful for every up and down I experienced. Here's a quick look back...

Freshman year:
- Housing: Newman Hall with Alex. We were pretty much inseparable, and I had a blast learning how to live on my own.
This pretty much sums up our relationship.
- Academics: I was a Communications major but was already thinking of switching to Advertising.
- Social: I went swing dancing every week at Newman, and Jake & I could often be found swing dancing while out at the bars. Also, I joined AOII even though just weeks before recruitment, I had openly stated that I thought sororities were stupid. Sometime you have to eat your words...
The 11's pledge class
- Life Lessons: Sometimes you have to take risks and make yourself uncomfortable in order to be truly happy and get the most out of life.

Sophomore year:
- Housing: AOII in a triple room previously named the "Sugar Shack" with Gina & Meghan.
In our room before recruitment. I also thought it was a
good idea to chop all my hair off that year...
- Academics: Transfered in to Advertising and NSAC (the National Student Advertising Competition) pretty much took over my life for a while second semester.
- Social: I became a lot closer to a lot of the girls in the house, and I met Whitney on our Habit for Humanity trip over Spring Break. Also, I took my first real road trip when Sara & I went to Florida over Winter Break.


- Life Lessons: You can overcome more than you think when you put your mind to it. Family is so important.

Junior year:
This has to be split up in to 2 sections since I studied abroad :)
First Semester
- Housing: A single bedroom in AOII
- Academics: Still an Advertising major and thought I wanted to be a Creative
- Social: I had a bit of a rough time since I was pretty much the "RA" of the sorority. Times like that help you find your best friends though. Torie and I ran together every morning, I officially convinced Jane to be an Advertising major, and Whitney and I were always together.

Jane, me & Torie
- Life Lessons: Life has highs and lows, but you have to work through the lows in order to enjoy the highs. Those who care about you won't leave you in the rough times.

Second Semester
- Housing: An apartment in Verona, Italy! I had 3 other American roommates and 1 rotating foreign roommate.

- Academics: I spent the semester "studying" Italian aka learning about Italian culture first hand by living life and attending class two days a week. I'd have to say I learned a lot more about life through just living and traveling than I did in the classroom.

At the top of the Duomo in Florence.
- Social: It was amazing how close you become with people when studying abroad. I have a study abroad bond with everyone on my trip, but became really close with everyone that lived in the apartment next to mine. Natalie and I traveled everywhere together, and if you've read any other post on this blog, you know we became best friends.
- Life Lessons: Relax. Life is beautiful if you let it be. Sometimes you have to go where no one knows you in order to find yourself.

Senior year:
- Housing: An apartment on campus with Whitney and Julie.
- Academics: I decided I no longer wanted to be a Creative in Advertising and searched for everything and anything I may want to do instead. I applied for a Fulbright Scholarship to Italy and teaching assistantships in Turkey and France but finally decided to use my Advertising degree and pursue a career in Brand or Campaign Planning and Strategy.  
- Social: Whoever said Seniors go out all the time is seriously wrong. I was so busy working, finishing up school, and keeping up good relationships with friends that I went out the least of my four years. I finally ran a half marathon, and when I wasn't training, I pretty much lived at Greg Hall. Also, I started this blog :)

- Life Lessons: Needing to rely on friends and family every now and then doesn't make you any less strong and independent. Growing up is a bit scary but also really fun.

Obviously I couldn't write about every experience I ever had in college, but this pretty much sums up my four years. It was real. It was fun. I learned a lot and am so excited to take on the real world. Here I come Chicago!

No comments:

Post a Comment