Saturday, June 23, 2012

A Fresh Perspective

After a long week this week, I was feeling a bit worn down and ready to go home for the weekend, but also super excited to get pedicures with my department at work. (Yes, you heard me right...pedicures with work. And yes, I do have one of the greatest jobs ever.) Thanks to a long meeting, however, I was late for our adventure and ended up getting one on my own. I was feeling overwhelmed and anxious when I sat down at the drying station and was seated next to a woman talking to her friend about the drama in her life.

This wasn’t a situation where she was complaining and wanting people to feel sorry for her but instead a moment of true confusion and desperation. I won’t go in to what her issues were, but I instantly felt silly for having felt so anxious about my situation. Kathryn and I had been complaining about our “issues” last night, but none of our “issues” held up to the deception and hurt this woman was going through. My heart was breaking for her although I didn’t even know her, and I almost instantly snapped out of my anxious funk and was inspired to turn my day around.

Usually I just go to the salon to get a fresh pedicure, but today I left with not only pretty nails but also a fresh perspective.


I often find inspiration in random places, but this was a first for the nail salon. A horoscope from a newspaper in a restaurant bathroom? Why not? An ad for beer on the L during my morning commute? Sure. As long as it comes in to my life at the appropriate moment, inspiration can be found anywhere.

Sure, I also get inspiration from moving speeches and heroic events, but I think the small, almost hidden moments of inspiration are more impactful. It hits me when I’m least expecting it but often when I most need it. Maybe I’m secretly searching and grasping for anything to hold on to and grab on to the closest item of relevance, but I’m not really one for coincidences and believe things happen for a reason.

This blog is all about finding beauty in the minutest places and in everyday life, but that also pertains to inspiration. Often times when I speak about beauty, I could really replace the word ‘beauty’ with ‘inspiration.’ All of my moments of sunshine are ones that make me step back and realize how thankful I am and inspire me to continue living with joy, passion, and love.

Keep your eyes and heart open. You never know where inspiration will be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment