Saturday, June 9, 2012

1 Year in Chicago

Happy 1 year in Chicago to me!


All week my Timehop account has been emailing me my Twitter & Facebook posts from last year about moving to Chicago and my first week at my internship. It's been so fun to have that moment each morning when checking my email and remembering all of the joy and excitement I felt while moving and settling in here last summer.

The best part is I still feel all of the joy and excitement of Chicago, but now I am more settled and am able to more fully enjoy the city rather than be so worried about money and finding a job.

This week, I helped Natalie do a "Now & Then" Turkish assignment comparing her life 10 years ago to now, and I think it would be a fun way to look back on my 1 year in Chicago. 

Then: I lived with my Aunt to save money. 
Now: I live with my fabulous roommate in my first "real world" apartment.

Then: I was a new rider of the CTA. I didn't quite understand the best ways to get anywhere and was always asking my aunt for help, but I loved every moment of riding and people watching. 
Now: I'm a year old veteran and even helped a new resident to Chicago find their stop last night on the L. I'm also, however, still that hopeless romantic that loves riding and people watching on the CTA.

Then: I was still in my Chicago-excitement haze and was just beginning to see the small beautiful details of the city including the doors around the city.
Now: I still haven't explored as much as I'd like to but I'm getting there.

Then: I was the intern.
Now: I was the one introducing our intern to the office this week :)

Then: I had to do yoga & workout videos in my room because I didn't have the money to join the gym and didn't even know how long I would be here.
Now: I am so thankful to have a gym in my building and to finally have a workout routine again.

Then: I felt like a visitor.
Now: I feel like a resident and am so thankful to truly call Chicago home.

Friday night at Blues Fest
Home

No comments:

Post a Comment