Sunday, October 6, 2013

Fall Fun Weekend

I love all the seasons of the year, but fall is hands down my favorite. Jeans & boots weather, apple orchard visits, football season, and a bit more time to slow down and enjoy life.

I'm thankful to call Chicago home, but there are a few fall activities that are difficult to enjoy in the city. Realizing the possibility of missing out on some of these beautiful activities, I enthusiastically began planning a "fall fun weekend" in my hometown. I shared my plans with Natalie and the boy who both also decided to join in on the fun. 

Then I shared the plans with Michael who completely unexpectedly looked up flights from Boston and decided to join the adventure home as well. My parents hadn't seen him since vacation in June and weren't expecting to see him until Thanksgiving.

And so began the most epic surprise we will probably ever be able to pull off for our parents.

The planning lasted about a month, and my parents remained completely clueless. Michael and I would talk about the perfect way to surprise them and how amazing the weekend would be nearly every day, and so the excitement between the two of us grew and grew.

When the weekend finally came, everything went off without a hitch, and we managed to truly give our parents the surprise of a lifetime.

Even though I went home to enjoy the many joys of fall, it brought to light a realization much larger than I had intended for the weekend. I realized that the more I'm gone and more people I meet, the more thankful I am for where and how I grew up. My parents blessed me in so many ways I took for granted while actually growing up, and I'm so thankful to now be able to give back to them when I can. Helping Michael surprise them is definitely the best way I've been able to give back to them yet.

I don't know if there is a "proper" way to thank parents for their love and a great upbringing, but I'm sure going to continue trying to thank them with my love and in whatever ways I can.


A few of the weekend's highlights:

Sipping iced tea in the park across from the Willis Tower after enjoying morning yoga with Michael.



Surprising our parents at the train station. 

"Excuse me, could you tell me the time?" - Michael

(Double take by my dad) "Wait, what are you doing here?" - Dad

(Huge smile on my mom's face and tears in her eyes) "What?!" - Mom

Lots of hugs and shock ensued.


Showing the boy where I come from and taking him to his first tailgate and college football game.


Spending much needed in-person time with my bff Natalie.


Enjoying a truly beautiful day and seeing an Illini win!




And finally, a trip to Curtis. One my heavens on earth.





No comments:

Post a Comment