Thursday, April 21, 2011

Learning to Roll With the Punches

I am a planner. There's no getting around that fact. I make lists like it's my job and was voted "most likely to plan an itinerary" during my semester abroad. Although I love a good plan, I also try to go with the flow because no matter how much you plan something, things can and will go differently. Sometimes things will blow up in your face or quite literally, volcanoes will erupt. And believe me, volcanoes don't give a care what your "plan" was.

Eyjafjallajökull...still no idea how to pronounce it
Being stuck in London last year at this time for such a random, natural event was a life changing experience in learning to go with the flow. When I first saw the signs in the Tube about the eruption, I thought it was a joke. I always see flash mob videos and advertising stunts from London, so I thought it was another joke. Turns out it wasn't, and it would soon turn in to one of my hardest tests of character and how I live my life.

I'm not going to lie, I shed my fair share of tears throughout the experience, but I also learned how to live and enjoy life even though things may not be going according to "plan." After each canceled flight, I would take a deep breath, book the next flight I could find then go explore the city for yet another day. At first it was hard to accept that there was literally nothing I could do to leave since there were no flights leaving the country, but each day it got a bit easier, and I learned to relax and enjoy my time stranded in one of the most amazing cities in the world.


Good thing I was stuck because it took me
two day of wandering to find these.
Honestly, I can't complain. I had somewhere safe to stay for free, was enjoying my beloved Magners cider every day, and was exploring all the beautiful sites of London. Even though the week ended up being a blast, one of the most meaningful things I learned from the experience is that sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy life...even if it's not what you planned.

Just because it wasn't in the original plan doesn't mean it can't be amazing. Usually the new plan is better than one you ever could have imagined.

1 comment:

  1. You were truly brave and mature to spend an unknown and unplanned amount of time in a foreign place. Every experience is unique. Hai fatto la brava ragazza!

    ReplyDelete