Friday, April 29, 2011

Pre-Race Excitement

3 months of training has all come down to this. The half marathon is tomorrow, and I couldn't be more excited! Even though I've been training for 3 months, it seems like this day has been in the making for over 3 years now.

Race goodies!


Sophomore year, I began training but had to stop once I started having IT band problems & didn't know how to properly take care of it. Last year, I trained for the half marathon Verona hosted, but they closed registration before my training buddy and I had the chance to register. We ran an extremely difficult 10k instead, but I still dreamed of completing a half.

This year is my time. Thanks to lots of miles run in circles at the ARC, foam rolling almost every day, one trip to the doctor thanks to my habit of tying my shoes too tight, and tons of new jams from my amazing running partner Natalie, I feel I am finally ready to take on the half.

I had an amazing week including going to my last full week of classes ever, giving a great final advertising presentation, getting up early to watch the beautiful Royal Wedding this morning, and finally being offered & accepting an internship in Chicago. The half tomorrow is truly the frosting on the top of the cake.

I was enveloped by a flood of emotions today when I picked up my race number and packet at the ARC. It all became so real. All week there have been moments of, "Shit, I'm really going to run a half marathon," and that feeling fully hit me today.

Here's a brief overview of my emotions right now....

Fear
Awe of what I'm about to do
Excitement for my new headband
General joy & enthusiasm for the race & experience
Thankfully, I know I'll have Natalie running by my side the whole time, my family at mile 3 and the finish line to cheer me on, and I'm feeling better and healthier than I have in a very long time. I can do this. I can't wait to finally be able to say I trained for and completed a half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment