Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lollapalooza Snapshot Moments

In high school, I spent a lot of time convincing my mom & dad I needed to go The Shed (an awesome, small venue in the middle of nowhere that used to be in my hometown) every weekend and unsuccessfully trying to persuade them to let me go to shows in Chicago...but instead going to any concert that came to the Assembly Hall in Champaign.

In college, I went to a few shows my Freshman year but then cut the expense out of my life in order to save for study abroad. I don't regret saving my money so I could have the time of my life in Italy, but I did really miss live music.

Now that I'm out of school with a real job, I have more money to feed my love of live music, and thanks to a roommate who is always up for a show, I'm never without a concert buddy. Last weekend, however, I was opened up to a whole other world of live music...the multi-day festival, and in my case, Lollapalooza.


Honestly, I had been worried about surviving the 3 long days, but not only did I last the 3 days but thrived off of them. Monday I experienced a live music withdrawal and spent most of the day holding back my urge to completely rock out at my desk. I also already told my best friend, Natalie, that she has to come with me next year no matter where she is in the country.

A lovely weekend addition to my arm party

I've talked about my "snapshot moments" in posts before, like this one from my cousin's wedding, but for those of you who missed it, they're moments where I really try to take in everything around me, my senses heighten, and the world seems to slow for a bit. They stick in my mind like photos, so I call them my "snapshot moments." This weekend had it's fair share of them, so here are some of my "snapshot moments" from Lolla.

Getting chills & goosebumps at the end of The Head and The Heart show despite the blistering heat. They were that good. Check it out! (I dare you not to get chills at the 3:00 mark.)

The Head and The Heart

Our train ride to Grant Park on Saturday...overheard on the Red Line: "Can I have your fax number? Cause you faxy!"

Being troopers by making the most of the huge storm at Noodles & Company even though we lost our 3rd row spots at Alabama Shakes...then we went to the Waldorf in our wet & sweaty festival gear to visit Kat's aunt, uncle & cousins. Needless to say we stuck out a bit...

Waiting out the storm

Splashing around and getting splattered with mud throughout the Red Hot Chili Peppers show and not caring, just loving it.


RHCP

Florence + The Machine's performance of "Shake It Out". Sorry for the shaky camera work...couldn't stop myself from dancing :)



Literally running from the Florence show to the Jack White show and singing and dancing the whole way.

Our spots were well worth the run :)



Every moment I realized how lucky I was to have the 2 greatest festival guides in the world.

Kathryn & her brother Jacob


Looking back each night to see the beautiful skyline and realizing how blessed I am to live in such an amazing city.


To say the least, I had an amazing and memorable weekend.

I hope everyone got to do something they love this weekend too!

1 comment: