During her time in Italy, an Italian tells the main character, Liz, that the problem with Americans is that they don't appreciate "La bellezza di fare niente" aka "The beauty of doing nothing." This was definitely one of my favorite things about being in Italy last year. I call it my "Verona calm" and have been missing it so much lately. I've been trying to find things that helped with that calm in Italy that I can do here too, and it has been helping a lot. Today was dedicated to really trying to live that again. La bellezza di fare niente.
When I woke up this morning, the first thing I saw was a Venice puzzle my mom bought me for Christmas 2 years ago that I had yet to make and thought, "Well, today seems like a good day to make a puzzle." I brought it out and set it on the table where my mom was reading her Nook.
No music. No TV. I hadn't even eaten breakfast yet. But I wanted nothing more than to make my puzzle with my mom.
![]() |
| The completed puzzle. |
Even though I was technically "doing something," it was such a simple yet pleasurable way to spend my morning with my mom. My mind was clear, I felt happy, and I got to joke around and bond with my mom. Clarity, happiness, and family. A great start on my journey to finding my "Verona calm" in America.
| Venezia, mi manchi... |


No comments:
Post a Comment