I believe it's completely normal and healthy for humans to question who they are and how they define themselves. I also find it interesting that we often define and view ourselves differently than other people view us. Identity has recently been even more on my mind since I am no longer a student after 17 years of going to school. I am so excited to be done and to start doing other things with my life, but I do think this transition deserves some time of reflection.
There have been a few instances other than graduating recently that have forced me to think about my identity. I have never considered myself to be a 'runner' even when other people would ask me if I was or would just call me one. I was a volleyball player who enjoyed to run. Well, I haven't really played volleyball in 4 years and although I would still consider myself a volleyball player, I am now most certainly a runner. It wasn't until after I completed the half marathon that I felt comfortable calling myself a runner.
Another instance is when I was talking with a friend about my hip hop class. He called me a dancer, and it took me by surprise. No, dancers were girls who had grown up dancing their whole lives, not me. False. I may not have 15 years of experience, but I have taken many classes and love to dance, so yes...I am a dancer.
Finally, I have a really difficult time responding when people ask me if I'm fluent in Italian. I minored in it and studied abroad, but I am most certainly not at a native speaker's level. I can, however, ramble about my day, what I believe, and am becoming better at arguing my point of view with native speakers. "Become fluent in Italian" has been on my bucket list waiting to be crossed off for a long time, but I am still leery to cross it off. I am still devoted to learning and becoming an even better speaker, reader, and writer, and hope to be devoted for many years to come. I fear if I cross it off I will lose that drive to continue learning, but I am trying to feel more comfortable saying "Yes, I am fluent in Italian. Want to hear?".
I rambled a bit more than I intended to, but this is something I have been thinking about a lot lately. I am thankful to be feeling more comfortable with who I am and who I want to continue growing to be. Here's where I'm at right now.
I am...
a daughter. a sister. a cousin. a niece. a college graduate. a runner. a dancer. a pescetarian (a vegetarian who eats fish). hopeful. a dreamer. young. a friend. a blogger. an organizer. a planner. a traveler. goofy. curious. creative. strong. a romantic. a reader. adventurous. ambitious.
Who are you?
am...
ReplyDeleteglad you have found meaning and are still continuously searching for that meaning! glad and thankful to have you as a friend, running partner, fellow travel companion and most of all my right hand (since you know me and my obsession with the left)