| My view each morning on my yoga mat |
While going back through past posts, it's funny to remember my love/hate relationship with yoga (mostly hate at the beginning). I have always liked the idea of yoga, but that idea hadn't quite translated in to a reality until this summer.
When I moved to Chicago at the beginning of the summer, I bought a YouSwoop deal for a month of yoga at a studio just a few blocks away for just $32. Real classes at a real studio helped me learn the proper positions and body alignment while also showing me how relaxing and fun yoga can be. Once my month was up though, I felt like I couldn't really afford to continue going to the studio. Every week I look up the schedule and contemplate going to a class, but sadly, I haven't been back since that first month. This does not mean I haven't been enjoying yoga though.
Eat Live Run is one of my favorite blogs to read. I love Jenna's quirkiness and respect her honesty and way she seems to live her life. At the beginning of August, she posted a 21 day yoga challenge she planned on starting and invited others to join as well. I knew right away I wanted to join.
My 21 days ended last Monday and honestly, those 21 days were some of the most peaceful yet productive and fun days I've had all summer. There were days I was tired and wanted to sleep, but as soon as I remembered how good I felt after my morning practice, I easily slid out of bed and unrolled my mat.
For anyone who thinks they don't have the budget to practice yoga, think again. During those 21 days, I never stepped foot in a "real yoga studio". There are so many free online podcasts and videos to lead you through a yoga flow, and on days I really didn't feel like doing a lot, I did a few sun salutations and any other pose I felt like practicing that day. Some days I did full 90 minute workouts while other days I only did 5 sun salutations. The beauty of yoga is that the whole purpose of it is to listen to your own body and what you need that day.
Yoga may not be your thing or maybe just not your thing right now, but I encourage anyone reading this to find something to do each morning that makes you truly happy. I don't care what it is or how long it takes as long as it's yours. It's amazing what a difference a good start to the day makes.
What does your morning me time look like?
No comments:
Post a Comment