Wednesday, November 28, 2012

If You Want to Be Happy, Just Be


Today, I had a client meeting at their office and was fortunate to have not one but two really happy cab drivers.

First, I had the pleasure of riding with Cowboy Sid in his party cab complete with Christmas decorations, snacks, and of course some great, optimistic advice. I wouldn't say I was having a bad morning before that, but I was in a super joyful, positive mood after stepping out of his cab.

Then, when I was leaving the client's office with a coworker, we had a great driver who told us he would "happily drive you beautiful ladies anywhere" (gotta love a charmer) who then gave funny advice about taking care of ourselves and getting a good man. 

The most interesting part about these happy cab drivers is that they both had excuses to not be happy. 

The first, mentioned that his wife has alzheimer's and can't even live with him anymore, and the second said that he had been robbed at gunpoint in his cab this morning. Talk about two really great excuses to not be happy, yet neither one really made a big deal about their struggles and were two of the happiest, most joyful people I've met in a while.

A good friend is a fan of the quote "If you want to be happy, just be." So tonight I'd like to ask both myself and you: what excuses are holding you back from being happy?


1 comment:

  1. Happiness requires more than just being, it's work. The cab drivers are working at happiness. That's admirable.

    ReplyDelete