I was really excited to start my internship today, and had a randomly fun morning commute to start the day off right. Most people probably wouldn't find it very exciting, but honestly, sometimes it really is about the little things.
 |
Yes, I took a picture of myself
before my first day :) |
The blast of heat upon leaving the apartment wasn't preferable, but at least I remembered to wear my Toms so I knew my feet would comfortable on my walk even if the rest of me was burning up. When I got to the school around the corner there was a school yard full of laughing, playing children being dropped off by their parents. Seeing children was one of the things I always missed when I lived on campus. At the corner a crossing guard helped me cross the street which made me strangely happy. I can't remember the last time I crossed a street with a crossing guard (minus when the police stop traffic on football game days, but that's a whole other experience), and I felt really special that she stopped traffic for me.
 |
| People always look at me funny when I tell them I love public transportation. |
I brought my book,
The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco, to read on my way there, but I decided to watch the buildings go by and people watch instead. I didn't know this until lunch today, but I guess a lot of people in the fashion industry ride the L to Merchandise Mart in the mornings too. Two older men who recently graduated from fashion school sat by me on the train who I chatted with. The one next to me was knitting a dress, which I was really intrigued by, and the man sitting across from me told me I had beautiful, sparkling eyes and beautiful, long eyelashes. Compliments from strangers are always a good way to start the day.
Since I arrived a little early, I took the time to rest at Merchandise Mart & enjoy my book a bit before walking to work. I was already excited and feeling confident, but then I saw a sculpture in the shape of the Pi symbol which made me think of my mom and smile. It was the perfect last confidence boost before my first day.
Hopefully, every day's morning commute is this enjoyable :)
No comments:
Post a Comment