I am a planner to my very core, and although I had thought a lot about my toast, I didn't have anything officially written out for it until the night before the wedding. Honestly, I love speaking in front of people but was anxious about the toast because I wanted it to be perfect. Like one of those touching moments in a movie that everyone remembers.
After spending a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to say and reflecting on what a "perfect" toast would look like, I realized that what I meant by "perfect" was really just honesty and speaking from my heart. Two things I knew I could do. Once I came to that realization, I calmed down, knew exactly what I wanted to say, and was really excited to give my toast.
As I stated in my previous post, my cousin John made sure I had notes and was ready to speak and almost every other member of my family and the bridal party was continuously asking me if I was ready. Yes, I was a little anxious about it, but I think everyone else was more concerned about it than I was. I wouldn't even really say I was anxious so much as just really excited.
I was supposed to speak after the two dads just after dinner but before dessert, but after some issues with dinner being served, I was told I was giving it before dinner even. For some people this rearrangement may have been a big deal, but I just rolled with it. Not a big deal, especially since I only drank half of the glass of wine John had gotten me and was waiting to drink more until after my toast. Let's just say I was really looking forward to the champagne that would come after.
My Uncle Jim's toast was first, and when I teared up during it, the rest of the head table began to grow concerned about my ability to keep it together for my own toast. I knew I had another toast before mine to pull myself together though, and was dry eyed and smiling once again when it was my turn to go.
I was so excited for it finally to be my turn, and as I walked up to the mic, whatever was left of my anxiety melted away. I had already realized that a perfect speech to me meant honesty and speaking from the heart, but in that moment I also realized that this toast wasn't about telling a great story or being funny. It was about showing everyone in attendance how much I love my cousin and how happy I am for Sara and Tim.
After my newest revelation, it was all smooth sailing. I received a loud cheer from my table of cousins I would usually be seated with, so I gave them a quick shout out which was quite a crowd pleaser and a funny, unplanned way to kick it off. I then told my story about the Sara & Jessica dating curse (we have never had a boyfriend at the same time...crazy but true) which received a few funny "she's single" shout outs from a few aunts and cousins in reference to me and my solo status. After the laughs subsided, I shared how I first started hearing about Tim, how touched I was to see Tim & Sara interact for the first time when they came to a football game, and how after that weekend, I knew their relationship was truly something special. Finally, I ended with a traditional Irish blessing since the Campion side of the family is 100% Irish and a tearful "I love you".
All in all, it was short and sweet but absolutely perfect. I was honest, spoke from my heart, and will never forget seeing Sara smile at me as I gave the toast or hugging her when it was done. It was perfect.
This is my last post about Sara's wedding, but my thankfulness for that day will never leave me. This spring, I will be making this blog more of a priority in my life again, but until my next post, I would like to leave you with the Irish blessing from my toast:
May your troubles be less,
And your blessing be more.
And nothing but happiness,
Come through your door.


No comments:
Post a Comment