Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 27: Snow Day!

Yes, the University of Illinois actually had a snow day! Only 2 within the last 30 years then we got one today. The last 2 were when I was a senior in high school around Valentine's Day, and I seriously doubted I would ever see one during my time here. Tuesday afternoon they canceled all class from 5 pm onward, which was a good sign but I was still a bit doubtful although I put off doing my Italian reading until after they announced at 10 pm. I checked my e-mail every 30 seconds and tried checking the Illinois website which was down due to too many people trying to check if we had school not. I ended up finding out thanks to my neighbors above me screaming "Snow day!" over and over, who then continued to party all night long. My night, however, was a bit more relaxed, talking to Sara online, watching TV, and finally catching up on filling in my blog posts.

My favorite part of the day was not setting an alarm. It's so freeing and relaxing to not have to set my alarm and sleep as long as my body needs to. I wouldn't want to do it every day, but I enjoy getting to do it every now and then. Ultimately, I woke up around 10 am but didn't get out of bed until around noon and that was only because I was hungry, so I got up, made some oatmeal with banana and walnuts, and got right back in my warm bed. I left my heated blanket on and watched How I Met Your Mother in bed all morning aka best morning ever.

Not too long after finishing my oatmeal, Clair came over to watch 500 Days of Summer and painted our nails. Mine our mint green/turquoise!
Minted from Revlon, which I went to Walgreens looking for
almost every day for a week before it was in stock.
After the movie, we ventured out to County Market to get her some lunch and honestly, I kind of wanted to go out to see really how bad it was. There was more snow than I realized by just looking out my window, but it still wasn't nearly as bad as I expected from the original forecasts. I was a bit disappointed we didn't get as much snow as the rest of the areas around us, but at least we still got a snow day!
The "stairs" to my building...aka a snow ramp.
I don't know if you can see him, but the kid in the left
of the photo was wearing shorts haha
Clair walking in the snow in her loafers. Gotta love her!
We convinced Natalie to trek across campus to come hang out with us which was nice since once she got here we realized we hadn't seen each other since Friday, which in Natalie and Jessica world is a really long time. We had talked so much online and the phone that we hadn't even realized we had actually seen one another since then. Nat did her nails while Clair ate and I made the delicious looking spinach gnocchi recipe I found the day before and my favorite cake mix cookies with strawberry cake mix!

The gnocchi was extremely easy and even though I had my doubts for a bit, turned out to be very tasty! I'm going to somehow try to cut my spinach up even smaller next time so hopefully the gnocchi will stay together better, but for a first time recipe they turned out extremely well.

My spinach gnocchi, yum!
They make look a little goofy, but they were so good!
My cookies were delicious as always. I've made plenty of bad batches of chocolate chip cookies,  but honestly, I don't think I've ever made a bad batch of cake mix cookies. The strawberry mix is my absolute favorite, but I also want to try the confetti and carrot cake mixes some time. Sadly, I didn't snap a picture of the cookies, but here's a gem of a photo from a batch of chocolate chip cookies gone wrong...
Chocolate chip cookie disaster during senior year cookie project for Econ.
We sat around sharing funny stories and looking up country songs on YouTube for a while before deciding we should all probably start on some homework which was not going to get done if we were all together. After the girls left, I sat down to do my Italian which turned out to be a lot more difficult than I even expected, but I got through it and even got to watch Off the Map before heading to bed early for a good work out the next morning.

This song isn't a country song, but it pretty much explains my day...The Lazy Song by Bruno Mars

Dear snow day,
Thank you for being both relaxing and fun. I enjoyed you and am okay if you come back again sometime :)
Love,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment