Sunday, February 27, 2011

Music Memories

"Music is a total constant. That's why we have such a strong visceral connection to it, you know? Because a song can take you back instantly to a moment, or a place, or even a person. No matter what else has changed in you or the world, that one song stays the same, just like that moment." - Sarah Dessen

This quote came up while I was Stumbling today, and it really made me stop and think. I have always known that certain songs have special memories for me, but I want to take a moment and reflect on some of those songs.

 1) "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas - This song is leaving dinner each night on the Grecian cruise Natalie and I took last spring. Our table was the last to leave the dining room every night but one. We had tried to wait out the other table, but just couldn't do it and yelled at them as we left. Every night, one of the husbands of the two couples we sat with would sing "I gotta feeling..." and the waiters would respond "wooo hooo" and then we would all sing. Silly yet fun, and I will never forget the joy I felt leaving dinner each night.

2) "Hey Soul Sister" by Train - This one has multiple memories, but each is strong and they both run through my head when I hear the song. The first is cooking dinner with my Italian roommate. It was the first real conversation I had with her because we finally had something we both could relate to...our love of the song. That's usually a quick memory, however, that's followed by dancing in the neighbor's kitchen one night before going out in Verona while Renaud was visiting. The simple, loving sways and dance moves are forever en-grained in my mind. As long as it always makes me smile like it does now, forever is fine with me.

3) "Club Can't Handle Me" by Flo Rida ft. David Guetta - Just like the song says "You know I know how, To make em stop and stare as I zone out," I literally become entranced when I hear this song. It is on every one of my running play lists because of the almost unnatural burst of energy and focus it gives me. I just hear the first few beats and am instantly taken back to London in August, running down one of the major roads in Putney. I thought I knew where I was going but soon realized another road I thought was going meet up with the major road didn't. The run ended up being a lot longer than I expected, but was exactly what I needed. I ran so much farther than I thought I could at that time, and it felt absolutely amazing. At a time when I felt helpless and lonely, it reminded me of how strong I am. Every time I hear it, I am reminded of that run and sometimes feel as if I am running down that street once again.

4) "Shine On" by Needtobreathe - This one takes me back to a road trip to Indianapolis Kati & I took after freshman year of college. We each had made a few mixed CDs to listen to, and this was on one of the CDs Kati had made. I don't really remember the first time I heard it, but I always remember sitting in the back seat after we had gone to dinner with her grandma and hearing it play a few times over because we had decided for some reason it was necessary. To me, it's a summer song of friends and letting your light shine no matter how down you may be.

5) "Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall - Another song with a running memory. This one is sprinting at the end of a run in Martha's Vineyard through all of the cute gingerbread cottages where we were staying. I felt so alive and really did feel that I was who I wanted to be and where I needed to be at that time in my life. I love when this song comes on, but have noticed that I will skip it if I don't feel happy with where I'm at at that time in my life.

I know there are many more songs I have powerful memories linked with, but these are the ones that usually come to mind. The original memories aren't always even technically happy memories, but just the ability a song has to take me back somewhere is inspiring and usually leaves a smile on my face and a warmth in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. This one is one of my favorite posts of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about crazy in love by beyonce? when we crashed. lol

    ReplyDelete