Monday, February 14, 2011

A Single Girl on Valentine's Day

After reflecting on a long, kind of rough week last week, I decided my absence from the blog may have a little to do with my low spirits. I knew I wanted to take a short break after my month straight of posting and was really busy with school and activities at my sorority, but making the time to stop and enjoy something in my day and blog about it really helps me slow down and relax. So, in other words...I'm back.

I realized today that I haven't had a Valentine on Valentine's Day since I was a senior in high school, so honestly, I'm pretty used to spending the day alone and instead reflecting on relationships and enjoying my singledom. Today it was 40 degrees and sunny for most of the day, and I started off the beautiful day with a great 3 mile run. Even before my run, I received a thoughtful poem texted from one of my good friends I grew up with that put a smile on my face before I even got on the bus for the gym. Natalie made me a mixed CD in celebration of completing our first week of half-marathon training which kept my run this morning interesting, and for some reason, I couldn't help but smile. I felt strong and knew I was doing something good for my body on a day when many single women eat chocolate all day and feel sorry for themselves.

One thing I do enjoy about Valentine's Day, even when single, is the cute care package my mom puts together for me. Usually it includes candy hearts (I think I'm the only person in the world who actually likes them...) and some fun Valentine's Day themed gift like a red shirt my freshman year or other random heart inspired goods, and she even sent me a really cute card last year when I was in Verona that made me cry.

I forgot that she usually does this for me, so I got really excited when she gave me my bag of goodies last Saturday after my Dad's birthday dinner. Everything was in a giraffe print bag since giraffes are my favorite, and there was quite a mix of fun things :) This year's bag included cuticle softener since I usually try to convince her to let me get a manicure whenever we get pedicures because they're better at cleaning up my cuticles, some Mary Kay makeup and other goodies, 2 jars of the homemade apple butter I love that she gets from a friend (hello delicious oatmeal mix-in!), a cute notepad with a heart design because for a girl who makes multiple lists everyday, I can never have too many notepads, and a really cute dish with hearts on it. Also, since I lost my aviators on Thursday (one of the many random things that went wrong last week...), she let me pick out new shades when we went to Kohls after dinner, which I had fun wearing around campus today.
My bag of goodies :)
The cute dish I put on our coffee table for decoration.
Sitting in the media lab for my night shift this evening (yes, really romantic...), I was reflecting upon past Valentine's Days, and although today wasn't really out of the ordinary, it was a really great day. It didn't beat my day last year posting my love letter on Juliet's Wall and watching a proposal under Juliet's balcony in Verona, but it was a really great day none the less and I am hopeful of great February 14s in my future. 

I think it's good to remember that although not every day may be extraordinary, each day has the potential to be great. Even when you're single on Valentine's Day :)


Via Mazzini decorated for Valentine's Day last year.

1 comment:

  1. "not every day may be extraordinary, each day has the potential to be great" - inspiring
    thanks jess (:

    ReplyDelete