Saint Lucy is my Confirmation saint, so the past few years I have "celebrated" by going to church and usually getting myself a special treat of sorts such as a cookie or something. To my pleasant surprise, Saint Lucy's feast day is also an important holiday in my beloved Verona. Sadly, I didn't get to celebrate it there since my program didn't start until January, but rumor has it that in Verona they exchange gifts on December 13th rather than on Christmas, and there is a market in Piazza
Brà selling food, sweets & toys.
 |
| The Saint Lucy statue leading the way down Via Mazzini. |
There is even a statue just off of Piazza
Brà at the beginning of Via Mazzini with Lucy on one side of it. I didn't realize it was there until half way through my time in Verona, but continuously finding out more about her importance to the city gave me comfort and peace. It helped me realize that Verona was exactly where I needed to be at that time in my life and is truly an important part of my life and personal growth.
This year I'm celebrating by braving the below zero arctic tundra that is Champaign-Urbana right now to turn in my Media Studies paper and study for my Macroeconomics final tonight. I did make myself a delicious soy chai latte at home to bring to the library with me though :)
 |
| Today's latte is in a travel mug, but this is one I made last week. |
No comments:
Post a Comment