1) Les Poupées russes (Russian Dolls) - The sequel to L'Auberge espagnol that I had to watch for French class. I liked them both, but I really enjoyed the sequel.
2) Matrimonio all'Italiano (Marriage Italian-Style) - A classic, crazy Italian comedy/drama with two of my favorite Italian actors, Marcello Mastroianni and Sophia Loren.
3) Belle Epoque - A Spanish movie where apparently a man returns from war and four women seek his love and attention. Actually I'm not really sure, that's just what I gathered from the back cover, but hopefully it's good.
| Thanks UGL for your great foreign film section! |
I find such a thrill in being able to understand bits of foreign films even if it is just one or two words out of a sentence. I watched Russian Dolls with Kristie last night, and we would say the words aloud that we understood, getting great satisfaction out of those few words we did know. Granted we've only been taking French for one semester, so there weren't a whole lot of words we understood, but more than you would think.
It was actually more difficult watching Matrimonio all'italiano this morning because the movie is mostly in dialect (Napoletano I think) rather than standard Italian. There weren't any Italian subtitles, which is what I was hoping for, so I put on the English ones, which ended up being extremely helpful with the whole dialect thing.
I want to watch more Italian and French movies over winter break so I can attempt to keep up with my skills in each of the languages, and of course there's always the joy in that small glimpse of comprehension when I catch a word or phrase I actually understand :)
No comments:
Post a Comment