Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 11: Green Monsters

One of my favorite blogs to read is Oh She Glows, and she swears by these breakfast smoothies she makes called Green Monsters. I have read about them, read recipes, seen pictures and finally decided to try one for myself this morning. After an interesting food day yesterday, I was up for a healthy, detoxing breakfast.

From what I've gathered, a Green Monster is pretty much anything healthy you want to put in a blender with the staple ingredient of spinach. Yes, spinach. When I first read about the spinach, I was a bit skeptical. A fruit smoothie with spinach? Everything I'd read said that you can't even taste the spinach so I decided to just jump in and try one for myself.

Mine included 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 2 large frozen strawberries, about 1/2 cup frozen mango, 1 Tbs wheat germ I found in the fridge, 1 cup vanilla soy milk, some ice cubes, and of course a handful of spinach. It took a while for me to blend it all up. I'm not sure if there is a "proper" order to put ingredients in the blender, but I'm thinking putting the spinach in first is not the best idea. I'll try a different strategy next time.

Cheers to my first Green Monster! (even if it was purple...)
Once I finally got it all mixed up, it was a lovely purple color thanks to the blueberries I'm assuming. Definitely not as green as her Green Monsters, but I'll try for that next time by using less overwhelmingly colorful fruits like a banana.

Overall, I was happily surprised how delicious the smoothie was and how little you could taste the spinach. How great, I can get some veggies in for breakfast while still enjoying a delicious, fruit smoothie! Mine was quite thick, so I started with a spoon then moved to a straw once it melted a bit. 


Hopefully I'll run to the grocery store to pick up some bananas and chia seeds so I can make the "classic" Green Monster recipe next time.

First Green Monster = Delicious and nutritious success!

No comments:

Post a Comment