Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 9: Disney Movies

Last night I saw Tangled with my family for my mom's birthday and loved it! It's one of those movies I secretly wanted to see but didn't really want to pay for myself, so the family paying was the perfect opportunity. Also, this officially marks the return of Disney. Good, classic Disney, and just in time, since this was their 50th animated film.


I grew up on all the classic Disney movies and am so glad to see them go back to a good, well made princess movie. My absolute favorite growing up was Beauty and the Beast followed in no particular order by Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, and Mulan. I also enjoy the Disney Pixar movies like Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc that don't include a princess, but I'm so glad that this generation has their own princess movie now.

Beauty & the Beast magnets on our fridge. Sadly, they're not mine, but I still enjoy them :)
I'm aware of the bad stereotypes presented in the princess movies like you need a man to make you happy or singing a happy song can get you out of anything, but honestly, I was still happy to see the new princess movie. Yes, I may still be waiting for my prince charming to come and realize it can alter our perceptions of what a man should be like, but I also think that girls shouldn't settle for anything less than amazing. It's out there and no one should settle for okay. Real world princes have their flaws and shortcomings, but that doesn't mean love can be any less amazing. Maybe that sounds naive, but why believe in anything less than amazing as long as you admit it won't be perfect?

Back to Tangled. I was just going to write about how there weren't any super memorable songs, which is true, but when I looked at a list of the songs I realized that I really did like all of them. My favorite was "I've Got a Dream" because who doesn't love a song with big, burly guys singing about their dreams? My mom enjoyed "Mother Knows Best" for obvious reasons, and another one of my favorites was "I See the Light" for personal, sentimental reasons. What a lovely love song, and what a beautiful scene with all the glowing lanterns floating around the lake.

Another favorite part is that the weapon of choice for the movie is a frying pan. A frying pan! Priceless. I thought it was hilarious that it was used through out the movie, and although it was still violent, I was glad to see a movie using a frying pan rather than guns and knives. Creative violence? haha

My favorite frying pan. Yes, I have a favorite.
One more shout out to the movie. Mandy Moore! I was so glad to hear her voice again, especially singing. A possible come back from Mandy?

I'm getting really excited writing about the movie and will definitely consider purchasing it when it comes out on DVD. Thanks Disney for another great, maybe one day classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment