Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 12: A Good Old-Fashioned Handheld Fan

Yesterday, I met up with my friend Clare and her roommate to check out the Gold Coast Art Fair. I knew it was a toasty day because I sat outside reading for a few hours, but I was not prepared for the extreme heat of walking around the fair. Thankfully, I grabbed a water bottle at a little Asian restaurant on Michigan Avenue before entering the festival, and we quickly made plans to stop for ice cream right after we strolled around the main loop of the fair. It was so hot that I drank a bottle and a half of water while walking around (we found a water fountain for refills) and still felt dehydrated.

We had our ice cream to look forward to, but the major saving grace of the day was a handheld fan from the University of Chicago Medical Center that we got in the food area of the festival. Almost every woman at the fair had one, and I was so excited once I found where they all had gotten them. The three of us walked around the rest of the fair, fans in our hands rhythmically fanning ourselves and checking out all of the artist stalls. I've never appreciated a piece of thin cardboard on an oversized popsicle stick more!

No comments:

Post a Comment