Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 3: The Apocalyptic Storm

Storms and I have a love/hate relationship. When I was little, I was scared to death of storms and still am fairly nervous during storms, but when I know I'm safe, I love a good storm with sky enlivening lightning and therapeutic patter of rain.

Last night a massive storm hit Chicago while I was at The Galway Arms. I'd have to say an Irish Pub is definitely one of the best places I've ever been stuck during a storm and certainly beats getting stuck at Greg Hall like I did last semester. Every time I went to leave, the storm seemed to pick up, so I'd go to the bar for another beer and settle in for a bit more time of chatting and enjoying the storm on the outdoor, covered patio.

At first there were a few sudden downpours, but then rain turned to hail. Living in the midwest, I've seen my fair share of big storms and hail but never quite like this. The hail grew to about the size of a golfball and was bouncing off the entrance awning on to the outdoor patio. I was sitting at an inner table and was still managing to be pelted by hail. We braved the storm for quite a while, but once the patio began flooding with the freezing cold rain, I threw in my white flag and headed in to the main bar. After a bit more time and another beer, the storm settled down enough to make it to a cab and home for the evening.

As much as storms can scare me, I do love being reminded of just how small we are as humans. We are capable of so much, and especially living in a city, have so much available at our finger tips on a virtually 24 hour basis that sometimes it's humbling to be reminded that we don't control everything. Nothing like a beautiful, powerful storm to put you in your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment